The following is a list of source material that I have used for the website:-
- Building Stones of Edinburgh. 2nd Edit., McMillan.A.A., Gillanders.R.J. and Fairhurst.J.
- Blackhall Past and Present, McArthur.Margaret., 2000
- The Builder. 1852.
- Changing Face of Blackhall, McArthur.Margaret, 1983
- Bonnie Blackhall, McArthur.Margaret 1995
- The Place Names Of Edinburgh. Stuart Harris
- Craigleith Quarry. Sainsbury's 1992
- The History of the Western General Hospital. Martin Eastwood and Anne Jenkinson.1995
- 'Corstorphine Hill' a pamphlet by the Lothian and Borders RIGS Group
- City Art Centre, City of Edinburgh Museums and Galleries, 2 Market Street, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library....Edinburgh Room
- Exploring Craigleith Quarry. 2003 Sarah Arkley and Mike Browne. Lothian Borders RIGS Group.
- Calton Hill & Edinburgh's East End Geological Walk Lothian Borders RIGS Group
- Geology Today July- Aug 1993. Norman E. Butcher
All of the above items can be borrowed from Blackhall Library except item 7 which can be viewed in the 'Edinburgh Room' Central Library along with many other items pertaining to Craigleith.
Victoria Hospital References:
- Williamson, J. Tuberculosis revisited-or-How we nearly conquered tuberculosis. 2008. http://www.smj.org.uk/tb1200.htm
- Fortescue Fox.,R. The Coming of Physical Medicine. A memorial to Sir Robert Philip.
- Historic Scotland. Extracts from unpublished survey of Hospitals c 1990
- Charles Dickson, of RVH staff, for his supply of many photographs many still to be shown.
- RVH for permission to examine/photograph the many photographs and documents hanging in the main reception and WRVS canteen
- City of Edinburgh Planning archives for various plans.
- RCAHMS for access to aerial photographs.
- Map Library Edinburgh
- Scotsman archives
- Lothian Health Service Archive staff.
- Royal College Physicians Edinburgh.
- A history of the Western General Hospital (Edinburgh) by Martin Eastwood and Anne Jenkinson. J. Donald Publishers Ltd Edinburgh
- The Court of the Lord Lyon and in particular Bruce Gorie Secretary to the Lyons Office.
- My thanks to the many people I have met and spoken with on the telephone and who have given me good advice on how/where to contact people with some knowledge of the RVH complex. I still have lots of archival material to examine and hopefully will complete this winter.
Acknowledgements and references:
If I have omitted to acknowledge...... my apologies. Any errors, mistakes or further information please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org